When you walk out of the movie theatre, you happen to notice some big posters of upcoming Bollywood movies. It is not a big deal, you might think. But have you thought about the fact that the poster was able to attract your attention?
You may see your favorite Bollywood star or couple in a beautiful poster. The movie title and tagline may even excite you. This is the magic of the poster design! The concepts of posters are not limited to film promotions, but they also tell us what the film is about.
The color mixing, the marketing strategy, and the relevance of the film have to be combined. The mind of a poster designer has to consider all these aspects.
Bollywood Movie Posters: Listing out the best
- Poster designer: Marching Ants
- The concept, storyline, and execution in Sriram Raghavan’s Andhadun impressed us all. It may be a suspense thriller, but we get to know a brief idea after looking at the amazing poster.
- The poster features the main actor (Ayushmann Khurana), a blind man walking on a bloody track, which indicates a murder mystery. It leaves us with questions like, did the bling guy commit the murder or witness it?
- Poster designer: H-One
- This 2015 movie came up with two main posters.
- One is depicting the justice system where lady justice with the sword. The sword here does not just symbolize the decision making power. It also depicts how the judicial system uncovered various secrets.
- The other poster shows the protagonist (Irrfan Khan) and many newspaper headlines. This depicts how the media covered the news, and the intensity of the case is portrayed.
- Poster designer: Mantra SDS
- Though the film is a remake of a Telugu film, the poster differed.
- Prabhu Deva’s Rowdy Rathore popularised the Chinta Ta Ta Chita Chita song. But the poster was also a work of creativity.
- The multiple colors spread throughout the poster. The movie promotions also included awareness of eve-teasing and harassment during Holi. The Holi colors are indicative of the promotional campaign.
- Poster designer: Kailash Nayak
- This movie has one of the best movie posters with a creative mind behind it. It was popular during the movie release. But it is still considered as one of the most thoughtful posters.
7 Khoon Maaf
- Poster designer: Shraddha Johri
- This thriller movie came up with the poster featuring the lead actress and the men involved in her life. The movie was based on the Ruskin bond novel ‘Susanna’s Seven Husbands.’ It gained fame for its creativity and concept portrayal. It left the audience with a lot of mystery.
Love Sex Aur Dhoka
- Poster designer: Marching Ants
- As the movie name suggests, the anthology film featured three stories based on the title descriptions. The poster had an amazing combination of the three concepts. The graphics were attractive and fascinating.
- Poster designer: 24EightyOne
- This film poster with the lead actors in an old vintage car was a simple yet elegant look. It showed the lady’s fragile character and the man’s loyalty. It gave the audience the essence of the old times and showed their love.
- Poster designer: C. Mohan
- This all-time favorite movie of all generations set a benchmark in the Indian Film Industry. Its concept, popularity, and star cast were some of the reasons for the huge success.
- No doubt, the film is still watched with the same enthusiasm. The movie poster was hand-painted by Mohan and had a classic look. The tagline described the great star cast.
Bhaag Milkha Bhaag
- Poster designer: Raj Khatri
- The biopic of the famous Indian athlete Milkha Singh aka the ‘Flying Sikh,’ had an amazing poster. The story featured his life and struggles. Also, the poster justified his nickname, and the fire in it depicted his personality.
Bhavesh Joshi Superhero
- Poster designer: Seek red
- The movie did not receive much love, but the poster was something different. It had a striking look—something which we usually do not see in Bollywood movies.
- The superhero concept with an authentic touch had an elegant look.
Here are some special mentions:
- Mother India
- Teen Patti
- Taare Zameen Par
- Raman Raghav 2.0
Bollywood has always fascinated its viewers by the graphics used over the year. An important part of movie promotions includes trailers and posters. A movie poster can make or break the movie.
The poster designers have to be creative and should know the plot of the movie. They carefully take the subject and explain it in brief. A lot of thinking and understanding needed to make a movie poster.
- Every Netflix Original Movie, Ranked Taking stock of the service’s best and worst films
- Top 10 Actors Who Turned Into Great Directors
- The Top 10 Prophecies in Movies and TV Series